Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sarah

Momma K came to see me. 
I missed her so much this week!
OK, so some of you may not know what it's like to be bred for and grow up as a potential racehorse.  We don't get much time to really be horses after we officially turn one year old on January 1st of the year following the year in which we were born.  (Since I was born in April 2008, I turned one year old on January 1st of 2009... when I was just 8 months old!)

Anyway, our lives are kind of crazy after we turn one.  Most horses spend almost all of their time with other horses.  A lot of Thoroughbreds don't spend any time at all outside with other horses after the spring in which they become yearlings.  I don't think I've been turned out with other horses, with the exception of when I got beaten up, since I was a yearling!

That first experience with other horses after I came off the track was not very enjoyable.  I didn't understand how to behave, and as a result the other horses didn't like me and beat up on me.  I've been alone in a pasture at Aunt B's since June 17.  But today, I made a new friend... almost.

Sarah doesn't seem to like me very much!
Aunt B brought home a mare named Sarah.  Sarah is 17 years old and looks gorgeous for her age and I just wanted to be friends... but she chased me all over the place!  All I wanted to do was make friends with her, but she kept telling me to go away!  Aunt B says I'm a pest.  I don't know what that means, but it probably just means Sarah doesn't like me.  After a little while (Aunt B says a long while!) I learned to leave Sarah alone.

My day was made a little happier by a visit from my moms.  K came to see me!  She said she missed me so much!  I told her I missed her, too!  While R had a last lesson on Oreo in preparation for the horse trial tomorrow, K gave me a bath and fussed with my tail and generally showered me with attention.  R did up my foot (she used the pink Vetrap again, ugh, but she said it looked red in the package) and then she fussed with my tail, too.  K was letting me graze, but I got pretty bored anyway and made it a little difficult to work with my tail.  I guess my moms think my tail is too short, so K added something called conditioner to it and then R ran her fingers through it to get out the tangles.

A little while later, K came out and rescued me from Sarah again so I could eat dinner.  She hung out with me by the big mounting block while I ate.  It was very peaceful... and I didn't have to share with my new pasture mate! 

Before I go, here's a photo update on some of my injuries:

Check me out!  My moms say my withers and chest are healing amazingly well!
~Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment