Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Worse Than Pink

Uh oh, guys.  I'm in so much trouble.  OK, my moms aren't mad, not even a little bit.  But I have been thoroughly humiliated!  I'm still closely monitoring the color of the Vetrap being applied on a daily basis, but I learned today that it can get so much worse than pink Vetrap!

Momma R bought me diapers!  Can you believe it?


R has a hoof injury right now, too, but I don't see her putting diapers on her hoof!
She tried to explain to me that the diapers are easier than trying to hold Combi Roll on my hoof while trying to secure it with Vetrap.  It sounded like she blamed me for making it so difficult!  It's boring to stand on three legs for so long just so my moms and my aunts can fuss with my abscessed hoof.

Aunt B held me so I would behave... I'm starting to feel better, and the humans say I'm starting to age my age.  Apparently acting like I'm three years old is not so good when one of them is under me trying to dress my hoof!  But honestly, I don't know any other way!

What I did to the pink bandage.
R washed the sole and the abscess in a solution of Betadine and water to get off some of the dirt and grit in the abscess.  Apparently I didn't do myself any favors by tearing off the bandage and running around during the fireworks.  Then she put a dry Animalintex poultice pad on the sole and created a pressure bandage with Elastikon.  Then she put the diaper on!  I hate to admit it, but it was actually kind of nice to be able to rest my foot at that point.  She put the diaper in place and then let me put my foot down and secured the diaper around it.  Then she secured the whole thing with Vetrap - purple today - and more Elastikon and we were done!  It was a lot faster than usual, so this diaper thing might be OK after all.

But still... I'm wearing a diaper.  Sarah is laughing at my expense, I know it.  Big sigh.

~Polo

3 comments:

  1. Good job taking care of his foot! Where I lived in Wyoming, we had a horse with an abscessed foot. We used the same meds and solutions as you, but we ended up using duct tape to keep everything on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Polo, it's humiliating sometimes when the servants can make decisions but they are great pez dispensors. Bosco

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what a pez dispenser is... but my moms stopped giving me cookies altogether! They said I was getting mouthy and no more cookies until further notice. But I still get my grain, which is fun because it's food AND Sarah doesn't get any.

    ReplyDelete