Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Strange Devices

Hi Everyone!

My lessons in balance and in respecting others continued last night with my mom, K.  First K continued my lunge lessons, this time introducing a contraption called a lunging cavesson.  It's like a bridle without a bit and there are multiple rings on the top of the noseband.

In my earlier lunging lessons, K attached the lunge line by running it through the bit or halter ring on my inside, which corresponds to the direction in which I would be traveling, up over my head and clipping it to the bit or halter ring on the opposite side.  In using the lunging cavesson with the rings I no longer had such a clear sense of direction.  To help, K and I walked the circle she wanted me to track together several times before I was sent out on my own.  It took a little longer for me to grasp, but I got it!

We are still working only at the walk and K didn't keep me on the circles too long.  I think she gets bored and truthfully, so do I.  So after that short lunge session K had me work on something called showmanship.

For showmanship, K had me wear my lead rope and worked on walking beside me from a very specific position at or just in front of my left shoulder.  She and I also worked on turning my body away and halting.  A few times while at halt K moved to stand out in front and also on the right side. K explained this practice of repositioning herself as "showing" me to a judge.  It wasn't bad as an exercise, but the game would have been much more fun if I could have rifled through pockets for treats!

Treasure Hunt Showmanship!  Now that is an inspired idea!  I think I will mention that to K.

~Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment