Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Hi Everyone!

I'm back in the saddle!  Well, K is and I'm under saddle.  The abscess in my hind foot is all better and it's time for me to get in shape.  Summer sheet season will be here before we know it!

K tacked me up yesterday and we worked a lot on walking around the arena getting a feel for the different views.  The cattle path runs along one side ending in a chute that divides the roper start boxes at the in-gate end.  Also on this end is the announcer's stand.  Lots to look at!  I was a bit nervous as I had only explored the whole ring once before and there were children and dogs running around while we were working.  After I got a little more comfortable K had me pick up a trot and we worked on that for just a little bit.  I must admit, trotting is definitely work when one has had a few months off!

I had another workout today.  This time with just as much trot as there was walk.  Phew!  K gave me lots of praise and has been encouraging me to relax and stretch my neck as I find my balance.  I must admit that it feels good to stretch every once in a while.  As we cooled down I got to check out the start boxes for the roping horses.  They are just like open fronted stalls!

K tells me that I get tomorrow off as it's a roping practice night.  She says she'll see me again on Thursday and that we will work some more on re-building my fitness.

Until next time my friends!

~Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment