Sunday, February 5, 2012

More Strange Devices and Snacks

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Everyone!

My lunging lessons continued this weekend.  R worked with me yesterday while K was helping out at Sweepit's barn.  I worked on walking and trotting and building my confidence in moving out on my circle without a lead.

K was back today and she brought more equipment for me to try.  She put a saddle pad on and then, instead of a saddle, she fitted me with something called a training surcingle.  It's got a padded top side that fits over my back and sports all sorts of rings.  This top part stays on with a girth-like piece that goes around my belly.

K had me walk and trot in each direction wearing the surcingle.  I didn't find it too distracting. In fact, K said I was doing well.  When we stopped, I thought I was getting off early for good behavior.  But K had other ideas.  Instead of early dismissal K added another level difficulty by introducing me to side reins. 

The side reins run from one of the sets of rings to my bit.  K attached just one side at first, on it's longest setting.  She explained that the side reins are meant to help me stretch out my back and neck.  K called it strengthening my top line.  She had me walk my circles just a few times with the side reins on to get used to the lowered position of my neck.  We ended on a good note, following up with some brushing and dinner! 

Dinner consists of alfalfa pellets and grain soaked in water.  I wasn't so sure about it at first so K sweetened the deal with a little Karo syrup.  YUMMY! I get one scoop of alfalfa pellets and one scoop of my grain.  This sounds like a lot, but I get this only in the evenings.  The rest of the day I have grass and hay to munch on.

K and R were talking about human treats today.  I hear there are special treats that are prepared for the Super Bowl. One of the more enticing treats they talked about is something called beer bread.  I like the smell of beer, so I bet this beer bread stuff is pretty yummy.  I wonder if K will bring me a sample.

~Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment