Tuesday, January 31, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Hi Everyone!

Mom says I have to learn something called "respect".  She says it means I must be on my best behavior around her and others.  She explains it as standing still for grooming, tacking up, mounting, watching cows - any time we're together and not working.  It also means that I have to be aware of where mom is in relation to me at all times and to move away from her when asked and to never, never step on her or otherwise force her to move.  This is A LOT to remember!

If that weren't enough, mom also says I had a lesson in respect for my environment just the other day.  Do you remember my mentioning The Hill in my last post?  Well, um, you see as I was galloping down with my friends, I hit a slippery spot and fell down.  It's VERY embarrassing!  So my lesson was to be aware of the conditions and, if it's slippery, I should slow down.

I sure do respect the Grouch (llama)!  He might eat me!

Mom says I did display respect during my lunge lesson yesterday.  It was only my second lunge lesson ever and mom said I was a champ!  She had me walk in a circle around her in each direction.  I'm not sure why yet, but I know mom will tell me.  It did give me something to do and it let me get a feel for the arena in which we'll be working.

Once we were done with that lesson, mom fussed with my mane and tail.  She sprayed them with her favorite de-tangler (Vetrolin Shine by Farnam), and then combed out the tangles.  I gather she didn't like the twig and mud look.  And here I thought I was displaying good fashion sense!  Apparently a neat appearance is also a show of respect.  Who knew?!

~Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment