Sunday, November 13, 2011

November Surprises

Good Morning Friends and Happy Sunday!

It's been a good week here on the farm.  Sarah, Oreo, Buttons and I have been content to hang out, munch our hay and bask in the warm sunshine.

I haven't been able to see K since last Sunday.  She can't ride right now because our unanticipated separation last Saturday resulted in a bruised tail bone for her. I'm so sorry mom!  K visited with me and gave me lots of attention instead, grooming all the mud off and combing out my mane and tail while I munched some grass.  I still got my workout in, courtesy of R.  I think I did well and I even remembered my canter leads!  But I digress...

I bet you're wondering why this post is titled "November Surprises".  Am I right?  Are you ready?  Here it is:  K is on puppy watch!

K has been fostering a yellow Labrador Retriever named Nelly. Nelly surprised everyone Thursday night by showing signs of pregnancy, which was confirmed with a visit to the vet yesterday morning. Her x-ray showed eight puppies!

Nelly was rescued from a public shelter in early September and has been staying with K for a couple of months while searching for her forever home.  No one realized she was pregnant until Thursday when her tummy "dropped", rousing K's suspicions.   R let me know that K was working hard to set up a quiet and safe delivery area for the puppies and monitoring Nelly closely for signs of labor because the timing of her rescue, in accordance with the canine gestation period and the view on the x-ray indicates the puppies are due for arrival any day now!  How's that for exciting?

I will keep everyone apprised of the puppy developments.  I've also asked R to relay to Nelly the suggestion to start her own blog.  I will let you-all know if she starts one.

And now for some some follow-up news.  I promised photos of my new blankets and the new bridle.  Let me know what you think.

~Polo


My plaid turn-out blanket

My blanket liner in case it's really cold


R and me.  This is the new headstall paired with a plain hunt-style cavesson. K is trying to find a style that brings out my best features.

No comments:

Post a Comment