Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chickens and Liverpools, oh my!

Good Morning!

I've had quite a bit of excitement over the past week. We've had some lovely breezes that have given everyone on the farm an energy boost. They've also given the farm chickens wanderlust. The chickens moved to a new morning roost sight in the treeline alongside the arena and frequently strut right on into the arena while we were working. Very distracting! But I am proud to say that I worked through it in a professional manner.

K also switched up my workout routine, giving me a break from dressage for a few days to let me practice my jumping. I'm not sold on this jumping thing yet. K typically points me towards small, airy cross rails that I can just trot right over. Why exert more energy than I need too? Apparently K thinks I should exert more energy so she's started introducing me to other types of jumps. Last week I learned about Liverpool jumps.

A Liverpool is a jump set over a pool of water, or in our case a blue tarp. K led me over the tarp, jumping it herself to show me what to do. Nothing like a good demonstration, right? Anyway, my very first lesson in Liverpools was with K on foot and just a rail sitting on the tarp. My next introduction, a few days later, was under saddle and K had built a cross rail over the tarp. I admit, this one fooled me and I stopped and looked, hard. Unfortunately this maneuver caused K to end up on foot, prompting another rider-demonstration. (Truly, it is an excellent learning tool!). Then K got back on and I jumped it! On our final attempt for the lesson I even landed on my left lead!

Go me!

~Polo


No comments:

Post a Comment