Monday, June 20, 2011

No Hoof, No Horse

I have a hole in my foot!
Hi, everybody!  Today was another milestone in my new life.  I met my new farrier, Jamie!  I know it seems like I like everybody, but I definitely liked Jamie on first sight.  Besides, I just knew he was there to make me feel better.

Jamie talked to my moms about my history - I wish I could help them out!  Then he took a look at me and my feet.  He was very quiet with his hands and told me exactly what he wanted, so it was very easy to be good because there was no confusion at all.


Jamie pulled my one remaining shoe and pad, then trimmed my feet.  Getting your feet trimmed doesn't hurt at all, and I was a very good boy about it.  Jamie told my moms' friend "this is how a horse should behave"!  I'm very proud of myself.  (I gather there's a horse around here that doesn't behave for the farrier.  I think it's the big black and white one.)

When Jamie got to my left hind foot, he found the source of my soreness: I have a hole in sole of my foot!  My moms call it an abscess.  I can't remember how it happened, or precisely when.  I only remember how sore I was on Saturday.  Jamie gave my moms instructions on how to help my abscess heal, and then he was done!  I have to say, this was the fastest foot appointment I've had in years!  No shoes!  I feel very light on my feet.

After Jamie left, K and R disappeared for a while.  They had to run to Tractor Supply Company to get the supplies the farrier recommended.  Within fifteen minute of their return, my hoof was completely encased with their purchases!

First, they applied a patch of Animalintex poultice soaked in warm water.  This will help draw the infection out of the abscess.  Then, they padded my foot with CombiRoll to help protect and cushion my injured foot.  Then came the best part: blue camouflage Vetrap!  Vetrap holds the poultice and padding onto my foot.  Finally, they covered the sole of my foot in Duct Tape to protect against the elements.  My foot looks strange, but it doesn't feel too bad.  In fact, it sort of feels... better!  K says it's the poultice, drawing out the infection and soothing all at the same time.

My moms say my wither wound is looking better every day:

Clockwise from top left: withers, chest, right fore, left hind.
 
I'm glad they're happy... it itches!  That's all from the Polo paddock today.  I'll write again very soon!

~Polo

1 comment:

  1. Khrypton and I send hugs and kisses. We know how ouchie abscesses are.

    ReplyDelete