Saturday, May 5, 2012

Running Hard on Derby Day

Hi Everyone!

It's Derby Day and K did a lot of running.  I think she deserves a rose or two, she was pretty tired when we ended our training session this afternoon!

K and I worked under saddle for about twenty minutes.  We started with our walk and walk-halt transitions and then moved on to trot.  It's very warm and humid today so K and I didn't work very long under saddle.  Instead K gave me a refresher lesson on work in-hand.

K tells me that work in-hand is what we do for presenting me to be judged.  In other words, I'm supposed to show off.  I'm learning to walk smartly beside K, stopping when she stops and standing squarely while she moves to various points in front of me and at either shoulder.  She tells me she is supposed to stay with the judges without blocking their view of me.  It's hard for me to stand still when K moves in front, because I want to give kisses and receive pats.  But by far the most difficult part for me is trotting in hand.  I know how to trot of course, but I'm supposed to walk beside a handler while I'm being led.  If that weren't enough to confuse me, there is also the fact that K is very short.  She can run quite fast and I can still keep up at a walk! I eventually did trot beside K, but it just didn't feel right.

I suspect I will get used to it.  K has a plan for us to practice work in-hand in the coming weeks.  She has finally picked out a horse show she feels is appropriate for my debut.  Guess what?  I'll be showing in-hand!

~ Polo

No comments:

Post a Comment